Can you say easily distracted?

Well Friday Night Sew In for me became Friday Night Fabric sorting. I did finish another block for a bee.

Block 4 for 4x5 bee

I have two left to do, but truth be told, I couldn't take the messy fabric disaster that my sewing room had become. I really really should have take an bunch of before pictures, but I only got a couple in once I realized that my night would be spend ironing, folding, cutting and sorting fabric scraps.

See about a month ago I pulled this out and could not find anything.

Scrap basket

So I sorted it and started iron the strips. However, it was too much to do in a day. So I ironed a strip here, or few strips there... and I kinda ignored the mess in my sewing room. This may be why I haven't had much progress this last month. When I say ignore, it really means look at sigh and close the door.

Scrap sorting

So last night I created this huge pile of strips...

Strips to be sorted up close

Lets zoom out for a better perspective.. please ignore my mess.. as I said I took the ignore the mess method for a few weeks.

Strips to be sorted

Then I cut them down to already determined sizes and stacked them in neat little stakes. I got this idea from Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville blog. It is her scrap user system. She suggest cutting down to sizes you use regularly to help organize your scraps.

DSC_3640.jpg

I choose 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2, 3 1/2, 4 1/2 and 5 inch lengths. She also suggest putting anything bigger than six inches back with your fat quarters... so I folded and put them in the bins. Along with a whole bunch of random fabric that I had been too lazy to put away.

I still have this huge pile to finish. Many will be folded and added to the bins and few will be cut down to strips.

Remainder of fabric pile to be iron and sorted

Well. That was my progress for the Friday Night Sew In. Not quite what I had planned, but at least maybe my creativity will come back now that it isn't quite as messy.
post signature

Comments

  1. lovely block. Sometimes organizing over sewing is a good thing...maybe..LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the the time comment. Please know that I read each comment and they all make me smile.

Thanks for visiting, Jenn