Sew Thinky Thrusday: Sewing Friends

It is another Sew Thinky Thursday.


Each week a new topic is posted to write about. This weeks topic is:

Tell us about your sewing friends. Have your fabric tastes changed by having friends who like to sew? Do you like the same things or are you completely opposite?

I really don't have a lot of friends that sew. I know many of my friends are always impressed with what I create and enjoy watching it all unfold, but I don't think many are interested in participating themselves.

The only sewing friends that I have, are the friends I met through the SacMQG; which I happened to talk about during last week's sew thinky post. I would say that some of us have very similar tastes, but not the same. I think some of us like a lot of the same designers, but what we lean towards from those designers often differs. I would also say some of the people I have become closest don't always have similar tastes to mine, but I greatly appreciate what they create each time they share it.

My other sewing friends are family, who live far away from me. I would say that often than not our tastes differ. Yet, I don't really get to see their work all that often. So I couldn't be quite sure.

The one person work I see most often is my mom's. I would say our tastes are sometimes very similar, and yet oh so different. For my mom and I think the best analogy would be our makeup choices. We lean towards similar looks, even same brands. However, some colors are just more my mom than me or more me than her. I may buy a tube of lip gloss thinking oh this is so me, only to get home and realize it is really my moms's coloring. Also there are just some styles that fit me just right and some styles that fit her just right. And some makeup that we just steal from one and other or if I was still younger and at home we would have fought over. There has been many times when we have handed over make up to each other and said this is more you than me and most of the time we are right and the other person loves it. Not always but that is usually the case.

It is the same thing with fabric for us. I can walk into a LQS and think oh yeah this fits my mom's style/color, or maybe even take something home realizing it is more her than me. Just as she can see a pattern/fabric and know that it is more my style than hers. And then there is other things that we both just have to have our own of. We always joke that if we lived near each other we would save a lot of money by sharing a sewing studio... but more likely than not we would spend much more filling the space with everything that makes us happy and it would be a very eclectic space with no one style being dominate.


I don't feel like my fabric tastes have change due to my sewing friends. Even though I might like some of the elements they use, I usually still sew with what calls to me. Part of the reason why I don't think my tastes have changed, might be the fact that I am really trying to use what I have, or that I found a group of gals where many of us already have similar tastes, or that the person I talk to the most about sewing is my mom.


The best part of all of this is that even if you have similar or different tastes it really doesn't matter. It is important to remember that we all enjoy using the fabric, that makes us happy, to create beautiful things. I truly believe it is important to appreciate what your friends create. No matter what it looks like, you know they put a lot of love into. And that of course is what is most important.

post signature

Comments

  1. My mom and I are the same way. In fact if we wore the same size clothes I don't think clothes would be sacred anymore but up for grabs to the quickest person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, Jenn. I appreciate the thought you put into your post. The quilting friend I am closest to is Judy, who came to the Turlock meeting. She hears about and sees more quilts than the guild group does because she is local and we are in church together. We meet nearly every week for coffee during our 30-minute break at church, and usually we talk about quilts.

    She is very traditional, while I am traditional with a twist. Our tastes, styles and methods are quite different, but we respect each other and admire each other's creations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, it's sweet that you are so close with your mom. Mine recently started making her first quilt, I think it's a hint that we can do something together, except she won't let me see it and wants it to be a surprise. Ha.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the analogy with the makeup, how nice that you an your mom are so close! I too have friends with differing styles and it is always great to get to see their projects anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the the time comment. Please know that I read each comment and they all make me smile.

Thanks for visiting, Jenn